Sunday, February 9, 2014

First ever french manicure

Well that was weird.  I have never really liked the look of french manicures, but for some reason wanted to try it tonight.

 photo IMG_3229_zps0a659909.jpg

I took off the beautiful green flower mani earlier because it was getting some tip wear (plus it's the weekend and I like doing nails on the weekend...), and BAM...broke the nail on my right pointer finger while picking up my laptop.  I didn't have any nail glue, and really didn't want to cut all my nails down to nubs, so I ran out to Walmart, which was the only store in town that was still open at 10:30 on a Saturday night.

While I was there I picked up a Wet n Wild 2% Milk, just because it's been intriguing me for a while. Even though I don't like french manicures, you know.  I figured I could just wear it as an all-over nude nail or use it as a base for stamping or something.

When I got home and had repaired the broken nail (See it up there? You can't even tell!), I had this crazy idea to do a french mani.  So I did!

This is one coat of WnW 2% Milk, one coat of Sinful Colors Snow Me White on the tips, and then another coat of WnW 2% Milk over everything.

And you know what? I kind of like it.

The tips are  just freehanded, and it was pretty good for a first attempt, I think.  It was much easier on my right hand since I'm left-handed, but the left hand came out OK.  Practice will help a lot...

I had been pretty skeptical about the value of such a light, sheer polish like the 2% Milk, but it really does even out the manicure, and tones down the stark white. It even covers the remaining yellowish staining on my nails. Next time I may skip the first coat of sheer before I do the white tips, unless the yellow shows through.

No comments:

Post a Comment